AMD K6 233MHz PC

4 replies [Last post]
Duncan Booth

I have a PC with an AMD K6 233 Mhz processor running MS Windows 98. I recently purchased a Sony TRV900E Digital Camcorder and are considering puchasing a DV300 Video Capture card for DV upload/downloading.

According to the Pinnacle Web Site, my PC hardware is not recommended as being compatible with the DV 300 card.

Does anybody have the AMD K6 / DV 300 combination, and if so, are there any DV capture problems experienced ?

Also, does anybody have an AMD K6 based PC, and have a similar video card installed ?

[This message has been edited by Duncan Booth (edited 17 May 1999).]

RichardJ

My system runs on a K6 233, and with the motherboard overclocked to 75MHz which gives it a bit of an edge (Tyan Trinity using a VIA VP3 chipset). I use a FAST AV Master for video capture, and a Matrox G200 Millenium graphics card. The whole combination works very well.

I don't have experience of Miro/Pinnacle stuff, but sometimes manufacturers specify Pentium as a requirement because they don't want to put in the time compatibility testing with everything, and if you have a problem they can just say "we only support Intel CPUs". It doesn't mean to say it won't work, and in fact I've never heard of anything that actually refuses to run on a K6.

Your best bet is to get an undertaking when you buy that you can return it for a full refund if it's incompatible (as opposed to actually faulty). Any decent supplier should agree to that.

------------------
Richard Jones

Richard Jones, http://www.activeservice.co.uk
Home of the MediaStudio Pro Tutorial - Edition 3 for MSP 7

Duncan Booth

Thanks for your prompt reply Richard.

The potential supplier does offer a 30 day money back guarantee, so the best thing for me to do is buy and try !!.

From past experiences of PC board installations I will check all the available functionality to ensure that there are no problems associated with the PC/Card/Camcorder combination.

[This message has been edited by Duncan Booth (edited 17 May 1999).]

jaleeb caru

I have a K6 333 and have encountered a similar problem with the DC 30+. They say that there are compatibility issues and leave it at that. I have seen a few people complaining about crashes with my combo so I have stayed with my Bravado card for fear that upgrading would render my computer useless.

Henrik Schurmann

I am using a DV300 in combination with a AMD k6 233 Mhz. The system works and I don't think than any of the problems I have had, have been related to the processor.
My graphics board is a Trio S3 and the motherboard is IWILL - hope it works for you too