Any good Canon camera repairers?

23 replies [Last post]
Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001

Got a broken Canon EOS300D which has developed a problem with it's focusing in either auto or manual. It's not the lens, I have more than one and they are all suddenly affected.

Would like to this camera fixed, any recommendations for a capable repairer please?

Thanks

Claire

davemitch
Offline
Joined: Sep 21 2003

I've got a Nikon lens at Skears Photographic in Northampton at the moment. Not used them before and it's a long way from you but they may deal by post? They have been very helpful so far and seemed really knowledgeable when I took the lens in yesterday. http://www.skears-photographic.co.uk/ is their website, you could call them or email.

Dave Mitchell Lenovo Z570 laptop, iPhone, dodgy old Sony Hi8 handycam

MAGLINK
Offline
Joined: Mar 8 2007

Have you asked Bonsers in Newcastle or BHP down in carliol square?

Chris.
Offline
Joined: Nov 5 2000

I wonder if there's a communication problem between the camera and the lenses? One thing you could try if you haven't already is cleaning the contacts. Do they look dull or dirty? I use a fiblerglass pen which does a great job, you just have to be careful not to allow debris to fall into the camera body. Pens aren't easy to get hold of but I got mine at a shop in Newcastle, which I think is called Aitken Brothers; the street I can't remember but it's a side street off Gray Street.

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001

Thanks all so far, however I am still hoping to find a decent and competent repairer.

There is no one it seems in Newcastle that is interested, Bonsers SELL stuff and that's it.. same for Jessops.

The camera is currently at a Glasgow repairer who is listed on a Canon web site and has had it several weeks and has not been able to fix it so I have now asked for it's return. This was a tale in itself which I won't go into here other than to say I am thoroughly dissalusioned with them and simply resulted in a waste of time and lots of frustration.

So anyone with experience of a good repairer?

Claire

Chris.
Offline
Joined: Nov 5 2000

I can't speak from personal experience Claire, but I have heard very good things from other photographers about Fixation - fixationuk.com

MAGLINK
Offline
Joined: Mar 8 2007

Claire there is a pro photography shop and dealer just off carliol square, I think they are called MPS and they deal in pro gear but also sell to the public.

They also have a repair depot and I have used them on and off since the early 80's as they have stuff that the centre town shops like jessops and bonsers just dont have.

If you head down to carliol square they are in the far corner opposite the lap dancing club and next to the old probate office, as I said I am not sure of the name in my previous post but they may be able to help you out.

P.S. Just found this listing give them a call:http://uk.local.yahoo.com/United_Kingdom/Photographic_Materials/1171845282-e-23424975.html

JMCP
Offline
Joined: Nov 21 2000

Claire,

just stating the obvious here but you should make sure and get a quote for the repair as the value of a 300D won't be very much these days, especially with the prices to be had for a 400D and the latest 450D.

cheers John

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001
JGNattrass wrote:
Claire there is a pro photography shop and dealer just off carliol square, I think they are called MPS and they deal in pro gear but also sell to the public.

They also have a repair depot and I have used them on and off since the early 80's as they have stuff that the centre town shops like jessops and bonsers just dont have.

If you head down to carliol square they are in the far corner opposite the lap dancing club and next to the old probate office, as I said I am not sure of the name in my previous post but they may be able to help you out.

P.S. Just found this listing give them a call:http://uk.local.yahoo.com/United_Kingdom/Photographic_Materials/1171845282-e-23424975.html

JG, MPS have moved to Stepney Bank (under Byker Bridge) and don't do repairs anymore since they "no longer have a retail shop", they say.

BTW, the last time I entered Newcastle city centre it was a nighmare, a far cry from the days before I moved out into the rural Tyne Valley where life is MUCH less stressfull. It's jjust not worth the hassle anymore to go near Newcastle as opposed to the local post office or using courier services.

Also, not sure how many "canny locals" are left in Newcastle these days, last time I was in there they mostly spoke "posh" (seemed to be mainly southerners escaping the congested south). :D

Claire

MAGLINK
Offline
Joined: Mar 8 2007

Aye its a year since I was at MPS so didnt know they had moved.

I also dont like the big city anymore, as you say its a corporate town now although I still go in to see old Tyne Tees people and for my fish from the grainger market.

H and M Video
Offline
Joined: Jun 5 1999
Claire wrote:
BTW, the last time I entered Newcastle city centre it was a nighmare, a far cry from the days before I moved out into the rural Tyne Valley where life is MUCH less stressfull. It's jjust not worth the hassle anymore to go near Newcastle as opposed to the local post office or using courier services. :D

The last time I entered Newcastle was when I completed the Morpeth to Newcastle run on a New Years day. Never been so wet, cold and miserable in my life.

Harry

PC Specialist 3Gz Dual Core, Premiere CS3, Encore CS3, After Effects CS3, Matrox RT.X2, Panasonic HD HS-300, Z1E & PMW-EX3 Cams.
 
Now with a PC Specialist Quad Core i7-3770, 16GB RAM, 180GB SSD, GeForce GTX560 Ti Graphics Card, Blu-Ray & DVD R/W Burners and can't wait to set it up. Now up and running.  What a difference in Blu-Ray footage.

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001
davemitch wrote:
I've got a Nikon lens at Skears Photographic in Northampton at the moment. Not used them before and it's a long way from you but they may deal by post? They have been very helpful so far and seemed really knowledgeable when I took the lens in yesterday. http://www.skears-photographic.co.uk/ is their website, you could call them or email.

Dave, thanks for this lead, after looking at their web site it looks most promising. I like the way they are so informative, how they can get Canon parts quickly, etc, unlike the place the cam is right now, where they won't say how long it takes to get the parts and it just drags on week after week getting a different excuse each I ring. Now I am having a hard time simply getting the camera back from them.

Will check this out further when cam comes back, (if it ever does)

Claire

Willow
Offline
Joined: Aug 6 2002

Clair

Woeful tale...

A good place to ask this question might be
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
(A Canon users site)
I got 120 results for "repair uk"

I escaped the congested S/E to here.
I would recommend the Canon service centre in Bangkok! It is really good.
They looked at a fault on my 350 and gave me a quote and a time (under a week) - but as it was under (UK) warranty I has to wait until I returned to the UK.
I then took it to the Colchester repair centre as I was in a hurry - It was there for over 4 weeks as a rush job!

davemitch
Offline
Joined: Sep 21 2003

Hi again Claire
Got my lens back from Skears in Northampton today, took it in last Tuesday lunchtime (they'd had an influx after Easter) and they rang me just after 9 this morning. Repaired on estimate at £50 + VAT, so I'm well pleased as I don't have to claim on the house insurance and lose the No Claims. Hopefully you'll be able to post them the camera.

Dave Mitchell Lenovo Z570 laptop, iPhone, dodgy old Sony Hi8 handycam

Ian_C
Offline
Joined: May 6 2004

Claire,

I found Lehmanns in Stoke on Trent (lehmannsdirect.co.uk) very good, helpful and knowledgeable, they are a Canon authorised service centre. They repaired and serviced my camera and as part of the service re-calibrated the focusing. I hadn't been aware of a focusing problem with but on its return I did some tests and realised that it had been slightly out.

Ian

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001
Chris Longley wrote:
I can't speak from personal experience Claire, but I have heard very good things from other photographers about Fixation - fixationuk.com

After getting the EOS300D back from the company in Glasgow who simply kept me waiting weeks and still no repair, (total waste of time) I have today acted on Chris's tip and sent it to fixation. It's their very informative web site that makes me think they might be okay.

Thanks all for your useful suggestions, will let you know how it works out.

Claire

George Rankine
Offline
Joined: Apr 3 2006

Claire, I've been off the forum for a bit and only just picked up your thread.

Have you considered the Canon cenre of competence at Elstree?

They really are IMHO excellent, repairs at the moment taking about 10 days, though.

Will post details if you want.
George

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001
George Rankine wrote:
Claire, I've been off the forum for a bit and only just picked up your thread.

Have you considered the Canon cenre of competence at Elstree?

They really are IMHO excellent, repairs at the moment taking about 10 days, though.

Will post details if you want.
George

George, the camera is now at Fixation - fixationuk.com but I will keep it in mind if I need to find somewhere else, thanks.

Claire

Chris.
Offline
Joined: Nov 5 2000

Claire

I'd be very interested to know how long Fixation take with your camera and if they do infact fix the problem. Please keep us updated.

Claire
Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2001

Chris,

Fixation has now had the camera since the 3rd April and no word from them since...

I phoned them this morning to find out what was happening to be told they had not looked at it yet. When I mentioned they say on their web site "current turnaround for Canon 2 -3 days" they said "professional" cameras got priority. No mention of that on their site I think..

After telling them this was the reason I chose them (quick repairs) they said they would look at it on Wednesday. Hmm, feeling a bit uneasy now already.

Claire

ChrisBitz
Offline
Joined: Jun 8 1999

That's a bit of a black mark against their name..

Maybe anyone doing a search for camera repairs and Fixation or fixationuk.com might come up with this thread now... And I don't think they'd be impressed. :-(

red
Offline
Joined: Oct 1 2000

Hi Claire

Canon Repair Centre
Unit 130
Centennial Park
Centennial Avenue
Elstree
Borehamwood
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

Direct line to reception is 0208 7314100

They are the best, go straight to them in future or if it doesn't work out at fixation.

George Rankine
Offline
Joined: Apr 3 2006

Yes, red, thats what I was referring to in my earlier post. They also have a free phone no.
00800 22 666 767 opt1 opt 3.
Just off for 6 days, anyone want more info then I'll pick up the post then. They are currently taking about 10 days for CPS members.

Chris.
Offline
Joined: Nov 5 2000

Have to play Devil's Advocate on behalf of Fixation. Their bread-and-butter business is working photographers, fashion, editorial, wedding etc. Members of CPS (Canon Professional Services) do get preferential treatment.

This is unfortunately one of the peak times of the year when full time photographers put kit in for a service.

I suppose it was good that they were honest and said they hadn't looked at it yet, rather than pretend to be waiting for parts or say 'it's on the bench'.