Building a DV500 based system

1 reply [Last post]
cassian

Hello there,

I am in the process of putting together a system for digital video editing. However, this system must also be able to accomodate the rest of my needs. These include sending email, web surfing, digital stills photography and editing (Photoshop), word processing, databases, and web site design.

I currently have most of the components, including two IBM hard drives (one 5400 [boot], one 7200 [video only]), a DV500 capture card, 768mb of PC100 SDRAM, and a Creative Soundblaster soundcard. I also have a Matrox G400 graphics card. I am however in need of a suitable motherboard.

Having had many problems with a previous motherboard, I would like some advise from you lot (!) as to a tried and tested AMD-based board which runs happily with the DV500 card. At the moment I run Windows 98 SE, however I am tempted to migrate to Win2K Pro to overcome the 4gb limit imposed by Win98 and the DV500 card. Any comments here?

Perhaps this thread can act as a "kind of" tutorial for other DV editing newbies who want to build a system based around the DV500 card but who also need to run many other applications. Once a decision as to which motherboard to buy has been reached, I will happily post all the details regarding each stage of the system setup, what hotfixes / drivers I have installed etc., and any other information that is beneficial to others who are trying to build a similar system.

Looking forward to your comments...

Cassian

duncan hancox

i have no problems running the abit kt133a with similar kit, although my primary Hd and cd and cdrw are scsi, with a large 80gig ide disk as video / picture / audio store.

768megs pc133 ram, k7-1.2 gig running at 1333mhz, g450 dualhead, abit kt133a