Burning H264 files onto DVD

10 replies [Last post]
tom hardwick

I'm pretty sure I've read posts here whereby H264 files are burnt onto lowly DVD and a Blu-ray player can show them as 1920 x 1080i, but can I find it? No.

I've found Mac people talking about Toast, but is there a way I can simply output my Edius 5 timeline as H264 and burn that to DVD all within Edius? I'm sure I've read that a DVD can hold 20 mins of HD material this way.

tom.

mooblie
mooblie's picture

Well, I'm a Mac person, and I can talk about Toast. But that's of little use to you, I know! :D

Except to say: it can be done. You obviously still need Blu-ray authoring to achieve a valid disc structure, filenames, multiplexing, menus, etc.

However, although you can put a short Blu-ray-legal program on a DVD, I think SOME Blu-ray players won't play BD-format files on DVD, and some will, yet most computers should be OK - if they can play Blu-ray discs at all.

(This is, I believe, analogous to the way SOME DVD players won't play DVD-format files on CD, but some will, yet most computers are OK with that too.)

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Gavin Gration

There's another thread running on this subject.

Quite a few low cost apps offer HD on DVD. I believe Encore does it too in CS5 - will check.
*** UPDATE - CAN'T SEE THAT OPTION IN CS5***

Edius may do it see here http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Edius_dvd.html

Can't work out how to post a link using this funky iPad thing.....

Gavin Gration

Hmmm looks like I may have cracked copy n pasting....

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=51630

Yippeeee!

tom hardwick
mooblie wrote:
although you can put a short Blu-ray-legal program on a DVD, I think SOME Blu-ray players won't play BD-format files on DVD

I don't want fancy Blu-ray authoring, chapters and so on, I'd just like to burn files to a DVD blank that when placed into a Blu-ray player would be played as a hi-def movie into the TV. Fade in, play, fade out, stop.

Not sure if I can do this. I can render my Edius timeline 'for Blu-ray' or simply output it as an H264 file. Then I can simply open Nero, pull that file over and say burn.

Trouble is I don't have a blu-ray player to test burnt disc on. Perhaps it's time I bought one - maybe I should look for threads on this matter as presumably not all players are happy to play such discs.

tom.

mooblie
mooblie's picture
tom hardwick wrote:
I don't want fancy Blu-ray authoring, chapters and so on, I'd just like to burn files to a DVD blank that when placed into a Blu-ray player would be played as a hi-def movie into the TV. Fade in, play, fade out, stop.

Sure, but it still has to be a legally structured Blu-ray to do even that. (Like, as you know, a trivially simple DVD to do the same still has to have VIDEO_TS folder, and files inside that the player understands.)

Martin - DVdoctor in moderation. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

jgould

I just use Studio 14 HD to burn to DVD in AVCHD, using imgburn, then plays full HD in blu-ray players

BirtyBoy1
tom hardwick wrote:
Trouble is I don't have a blu-ray player to test burnt disc on. Perhaps it's time I bought one -
tom.

Tom,

Why not go the whole hog and buy a writer and reader now under £100 for your PC. I've asked for some feedback on this LG burner in another thread.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=43719&category_id=351&manufacturer_id=0&tid=bh10ls30.auar

Phil

Gavin Gration

Today I installed one of the LG BH10LS30s listed in the link above.

It came with PowerProducer which does burn AVCHD DVDs.

Made a quick disc and tested it in a Panasonic BS850 Blu-ray player.

I only put raw camera clips on the disc. There is a pause at the each of each scene - picture freezes momentarily.

I haven't tried it on a PS3 yet. Will try to see what it makes of HDV clips tomorrow.

tom hardwick

Hi Phil,

Yes, I already have an LG Blu-ray burner in the DVC tower case and it plays the 'for Blu-ray' render of the Edius timeline. I'm still suspicious though - need to see if this disc plays in a standalone BD player.

Don't think the LG came with Power Producer - must check.

tom.

Gavin Gration

Ray,

As far as I understand raw AVCHD files can be played from a DVD disc in a domestic Blu-ray player (Sony/Panasonic) provided it's correctly structured.

H.264 MPEG (for Blu-ray) cannot be played from a DVD in a Blu-ray player.

There is a difference between AVCHD and H.264 MPEG.

I could be completely wrong but that's my understanding of it.

One thing I found interesting - PowerProducer captures HDV via iLink and burns it direct to an MPEG-2 Blu-ray disc (1440 x 1080i) in real-time. Need to do some more testing with it see if there are more advanced options - only done the basic with no chapters and a mickey mouse menu. Blu-ray disc looked OK to me and played fine in a Panasonic BS850.