DC50 with AMD K6-2 400MHz?

2 replies [Last post]
Toby

I am currently using a mirovideoDC50 on a system with a rather puny Intel 200MMX cpu. I am condidering uprgrading but can't decide whether I should go for AMD's K6-2 400MHz slot 7 chip or the considerably more expensive Intel PII 400MHz slot 1 cpu.

I know Pinnacle only recommends Intel, but from my experience their info is notoriously patchy. Is there any one out there using a K6-2 with a DC50, and if so how is it working? I would be grateful for any comments.

Tomas Busse

Dear Toby,
I purchased a DV 300 from Pinnacle and was running on a via chipset AMD 350 and could not get the card going and after endless E-Mails to the Tech support it was certain that it was the chipset that was incompatible. There was no adequate warning of this on the webside. In my opinion stay away from non intel with Pinnacle products as it may end costing more money than the Pentium processor. I would also like to say that I was not impressed with the tech support as it took more than 10 days on avarage to receive a reply and I have still not received my Upgrade to 5.1 which I thought would come with the card.

All the best
Tomas Busse

PS Fast Support have been exepyionally good when I needed it in the past. (I have the AV Master)

RayL

Toby
The AMD K6-2 range seem to work very well for video work. The only point to watch is that if you are using them with Win95 then a fault IN WIN95 makes the 300MHz and above liable to give strange error messages and Windows will not start up. The cure is a patch for Windows available from the AMD site. The patch is not needed for Win98.
Ray Liffen