Help with Adaptec 8945 and SCSI

6 replies [Last post]
nick wild

I am using an Adaptec 8945 with an IBM DDRS39130 (?) Ultra Wide SCSI Drive on a PII350 with 192 M/b machine under Windows NT.

I am having problems capturing smoothly, not only does appear to be skipping, but there are bizarre diagonal hatching artefacts when images are moving.

I have upgraded to Version 2 of Hot COnnect and removed the drive's Ulra capability in the SCSI bios this seems to be better, but it's still not good enough.

Any of you DV guru's have any ideas?

Nick

bcrabtree

The original message here shouldn't have been sent - I clicked on STOP on Explorer's toolbar, but clearly that doesn't work.

I just thought you'd like to know that.

Bob C

[This message has been edited by bcrabtree (edited 26 June 1999).]

bcrabtree

I spent nearly 50 hours over two weekends trying to get an 8945 working properly. And didn't succeed. I had exactly this problem and I can state that it is not a hard disk problem, it is purely and simply an Adaptec 8945 issue. In otherwords, the Adaptec 8945 doesn't, in my experience, work.

At one moment in time, I did have perfectly capture and playback from DVDeck, but Premiere playback was naff, so I fiddled around trying to get that working, and lost DVDeck's ability to playback properly to tape.

Bob C

nick wild

I believe that I have narrowed this down to the playback now, as if I redude the playback image to 1/2 normal size it plays back just about OK. The diagonal hatching seems to disappear, but it frops frames without dropping too many frames. If I reduce it further still then it plays back superbly , but it's just too damn small!

Could this be an incompatible Graphics card (an STB4400? It's certainly not a drive issue as all my drives are benchmarking playback at 11/12 MB/s

Surely these issues should be evident on Spark PLus and DV300's if this is a card issue as all these cards are the same aren't they?

Dave

Don't assume anything, they could have different firmware for all I know. I would doubt if your graphics card is the problem but it could be. My Radius card was knocked out by a creative labs DVD card!

------------------
marsh_dave@hotmail.com

bcrabtree

Here's my best guess.

You are getting this problem because the controlling chipset on your motherboard is not an Intel one - and I don't mean the processor, I mean the chipset that controls the board, which could be a brand such as VIA.

The reason I say this is that the reviewer who looked at the Pinnacle DV200 for us couldn't get it working properly on two PCs with non-Intel chipsets but today seems to have got it running on a newer machine that does have Intel chips.

What's this got to do with the 8945? Well, the DV200 is based on an Adaptec 8920 board, which, in essence, is an 8945 without the SCSI.

Bob C

nick wild

How do I check my chipset?

I have a BrillianX 1s. I have looked via utilities like Dr Hardware, Norton etc and they say I have an 8440? (I forget now) but I don't think they mention the brand of the chipset.

I have looked on the board and can't see anything with VIA on... or am I being naieve.

Advice from anyone would be appreciated.