IBM Deskstar 34GXP 34.2GB HD

14 replies [Last post]
Roger Maytum

I'm told this is not available from the States for some time. Can anyone suggest a big, fast alternative that is available? Thanks

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

deanf

If you're in the UK try dabs.com
or watford.co.uk who both list them.

IBM do a lot of big disks - 25GB, & 37GB.

Maxtor do a 27GB.

You might consider two 20GB drives on a promise raid controller which effectively doubles the performance of the the disks when configured for striping - there's been a few things written about this in computer video (by Bob & Dr Solomon who I think put 2x 25GB drives on a promise raid controller giving one fast 50GB disk).

Cheers
Deanf

drsolly

<>

It was me. And it worked fine, straight off. Use any pair of IDE drives, and the Promise Fastrak Raid card. Or use four drives, if you want it really big.

------------------

Roger Maytum

Hi Doc! Does the Raid card fit inside an existing setup? How much do the RAID cards cost? Thanks for your reply.

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

jebbinghaus

Hi Roger!
Check out the card's manufacturer at http://www.promise.com I a looking at setting up for DV here in Denmark, where the price is about £130 including VAT. I would imagine it would be a little cheaper on your island.

Unicorn

Last time I looked (it was either Dabs Direct or Insight) the UK price was 99 pounds + VAT, or about 117 inclusive. It goes into a PCI slot and you can then attach one to four IDE drives and make them look like one or two hard drives.

I was going to buy one this month, but now I'm replacing the IDE CD-ROM with a SCSI DVD-ROM (expect more DV300 SCSI woes later ;) so I can drop in one more hard disk before I have to go the RAID route.

That said, I only have two spare drive power cables now; can I just buy another power supply to replace the one in my PC and give me more power cables? If so, can anyone recommend one?

P4-3.06/2GB RAM/2500GB IDE/SATA. Avid Media Composer, Liquid Edition, Premiere 6, Lightwave, Vue 6, eyeon Fusion 5. DV and HDV editing/compositing.

Roger Maytum

Thanks for your help guys.

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

DVdoctor

Be aware that there is a Fast Track33 and a Fast track66 which is the newer version. IMO try to get the Fast track66 to use with the newer drives.
John

Unicorn

The 66 was the one I was talking about; the 33 is rather cheaper.

On the subject, does anyone know if the IBM 37GB drive works happily with a UDMA-33 (Intel BX) controller? Or am I likely to have BIOS problems?

P4-3.06/2GB RAM/2500GB IDE/SATA. Avid Media Composer, Liquid Edition, Premiere 6, Lightwave, Vue 6, eyeon Fusion 5. DV and HDV editing/compositing.

deanf

While we're on the subject Unicorn, you don't have to go RAID (or SCSI) if all you want to do is add additional IDE devices. You could buy another promise card - the UDMA66 which simply provides two UDMA66 connectors - allowing you to add up to four devices either 33 or 66. This is just under £50 inc VAT from Dabs.
So if one drive provides sufficient space and is fast enough without going to RAID, then it's a cheaper solution.
As an added bonus, a benchmark I read somewhere showed it reduced CPU load significantly when compared to a drive hung directly off a mobo IDE connector.
I've just stuck one of these in my PC with a 25GB IBM - it only takes up one IRQ & was a relatively painless upgrade (apart from fighting with my soundcard for IRQ5). For reference the combination benchmarks at just under twice as fast as my two 8.4GB IBMs hung off the mobo.

Oh - and your existing power supply should be capable of supporting another drive - you can buy a 'Y' lead to provide two connections from an existing power lead.

Deanf

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited 08 October 1999).]

DVdoctor

Think you are going to run in to two issues one DRSolly has addressed that you cannot see over 33 gig, then you will need to switch the IBM back to ultra33 mode.

I also agree that the performance is greatly enhanced with the ultra66 controller, I don't know for sure if it is the driver that is better, or just how much intelligence the card has but the results are pretty dramatic.
John

Roger Maytum

To all who have contributed to this fascinating posting - thanks. I now have much more information than when I started and can make a carefully considered choice. I am grateful - as I'm sure are others who read the posting.

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

bcrabtree

I think - but I'd not swear to it - that John has got the wrong end of the stick. The problem with these big drives only been seen as 4GB isn't to do with the fact that they are ATA66, but because certain Bioses are befuddled by drives that are bigger than 33.8GB. When that happens (or to prevent the confusion), you need to put on the jumper that forces it to report itself as a 32GB drive.

What is the case, though, that some Bioses are also unable to recognise ATA66 drives, and therefore assume they are of an old, slow, design. As a result, the drives will run very slowly until you use the drive maker's utility to get them to report themselves as ATA33 drives, and then ensure that DMA mode is switched on - in the bios and in System Properties for the drive.

Two quite separate problems, I think, but both related to the fact that many (most?) Bioses aren't yet compatible with these newer, big, ATA66 drives.

Bob C

Unicorn

Oh sure, I know I don't have to use a RAID controller to add extra disks, but given the choice between paying 50 quid and being able to drop in four more drives and paying 100 quid and being able to drop in four more drives which look like one drive which is four times as big and twice as fast, the extra cost seems worthwhile. Much easier to handle big projects on one drive than spread over several different drives (though that said, a >37GB video is a pretty big project!)

Roger Maytum

Thanks for the help of all who posted - I have now ordered the Promise Technology FASTTRAK DMA-66 with an IBM 22GB HD. I already have one IBM 22GB HD so this will give me much more headroom.

The fact that these cards support up to 4 x IDE drives per card is a real plus. I am also realiably informed that they can be up to 139% faster than Ultra Wide SCSI!

Now - down to that editing!

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum