IBM Deskstar 34GXP 34.2GB HD

8 replies [Last post]
Roger Maytum

Does anyone have any experience of this new drive? Is there any way I can get 3 HD's working in a IDE set up?

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

bcrabtree

Roger,

Do us and yourself a favour and tell us what you are trying to put the three drives into!!!!!!!

Without that info, there's no chance of anyone giving a reply except in the form of a wide ranging essay on all the possible hardware.

On the off-chance that you are talking about a blue and white G3 Mac - which I guess you are - then yes, you can run three internal hard drives on it, and I did this in my review for Computer Video in our March 99 issue.

Bob C

Roger Maytum

Sorry! Here goes: I have an IDE set up including the latest Chaintec MB. 1 x 10GB (as C drive) 1 x 20MB HD. Soundcard, CD-Rom and CD-RW.

I don't think there are any spare IRQ's! Could I attach an external version? Sorry - I'm not high-tech - though I know a little. (I know - it's a dangerous thing).

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

Unicorn

You don't need IRQs, you need IDE capacity; you can only have four IDE drives on the two IDE controllers that most PCs have, and you appear to have two IDE CDs and two IDE hard disks already. That means you'd have to remove one of the current hard disks to fit the new one (BTW, is that really 20MB or 20GB?).

P4-3.06/2GB RAM/2500GB IDE/SATA. Avid Media Composer, Liquid Edition, Premiere 6, Lightwave, Vue 6, eyeon Fusion 5. DV and HDV editing/compositing.

bcrabtree

I have four HDDs on my Windows PC, plus two CD-ROM drives.

All the hard disks are UltraATA and connected to the motherboard; both the CD-ROM drives are SCSI, and connected to a SCSI card that I fitted for the purpose (and to connect up other stuff, including scanners, Zip drive, Jaz drive etc).

If you need a lot of hard drives but use the IDE for CD-ROM drives, you may find it pays to junk the existing CD-ROM drives, replace them with SCSI and install a SCSI card.

Bob C

Alan Roberts at work

Roger, you could always consider using the Promise Fast Track for video hard drives. That would free the IDE chains for all the other things, and probably run the hard drives at their fastest.

Roger Maytum

Thanks guys! I now have a much clearer picture. Alan - please tell me more about the Promise Fast Track for video hard drives or where I can get info please.

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum

Taurus

The Promise Fasttrack is an IDE RAID controller. This allows you to connect 1-4 HD:s that will be treated as one big drive. It will also give you much better read/write performance if used for striping.

Fasttrack can be used in four different ways:

1. RAID 0 - Stripe set, requires 2-4 drives. The controller divides the data in 64 KB chunks and writes on each drive alternatively. (See example with 2 drives)

code: HD Chunk
1 1 3 5 7
2 2 4 6 8

2. RAID 1 - Mirroring, requires 2 drives. One of them is an exact mirror of the other and is used as fault-tolerance. If one drive crashes, you can still use the other and no data is lost.

3. RAID 10 - Mirrored stripe-set, requires 4 drives. Is just a combination of the above two. Two drives are striped and the other two is a mirror of the first two.

4. JBOD - Just a Bunch Of Drives. 1-4 drives (in this case). Starts writing on the first drive, when it's full it continues writing on the second and so on.

Check out www.promise.com

/Jocke

[This message has been edited by Taurus (edited 10 September 1999).]

/Taurus

Roger Maytum

I'm really grateful for the help Guys. Do the Gals ever show up? I can now plan the next stage of development with some confidence.

------------------
Roger Maytum

Roger Maytum