New Sony PMW-150 camera looks like the successor to Z5E/NX5

4 replies [Last post]
Mark M

Adobe Certified Professional Premiere Pro CS6, Premiere Pro CC

Adobe Community Professional

tom hardwick
Re: New Sony PMW-150 camera looks like the successor to Z5E/NX5
Very NX5 looking, but a move away from SDHC to SxS and away from the L series li-ions, too.
Let us hope and pray the top screen is better than the useless one fitted to the NX5.

tom.
Mark M
I've heard that the LCD screen is better than that on the EX1, which itself is pretty damn good, so that aspect looks promising.

I don't think it's a successor to the NX5, more to the EX1, so not really a move away from the L-series batteries. All the XDCAM use the BP-U series. But because of the way Sony have positioned the power input inside the battery holder, all those of us who've invested in third-party EX1/EX3 batteries like the excellent SWIT ones aren't going to be able to use those on the PMW-150 and PMW-200. Sony out to destroy the third-party battery market, perhaps? But more importantly it means that you can't swap batteries on it and keep recording like you can on the EX1/EX3. Shame.

Adobe Certified Professional Premiere Pro CS6, Premiere Pro CC

Adobe Community Professional

steve
The EX1 has a 3x1/2 inch front end and is superceded by the PMW200. This model with its 3x1/3 inch sensors is aimed squarely at the Canon XF305.
infocus2
steve wrote:
The EX1 has a 3x1/2 inch front end and is superceded by the PMW200. This model with its 3x1/3 inch sensors is aimed squarely at the Canon XF305.
The XF305 has one thing going for it that the PMW150 doesn't - a lens with far better control, proper end stops. I'd say the PMW150 is a direct competitor to the Panasonic HPX250 - they are very comparable in price, both 3x1/3" chips, and neither has what I'd call a true manual lens.

It's worth looking at the prices - the difference between the PMW200 and PMW150 is not that great, not considering that the difference gets you that far better lens control and 1/2" chips over 1/3". I'd be much more inclined to go the extra mile, pay the extra, and get a PMW200 over a PMW150 or HPX250.

It is significant though. Up until recently, if you wanted a camera in this class, you either had to compromise on chip size or codec. With the PMW200, you don't.

And as a clarification, Tom says it's "a move away from SDHC to SxS" - which is true if you want to use it with the fully approved 50Mbs codec. But it's important to note that the 50Mbs mode is additional to the XDCAM EX 35Mbs mode. I know of users who intend to mostly use the cameras in the EX mode (exactly to use the SDHC workflow), yet are pleased to know that the 50Mbs mode is there for certain other occasions.