Re the Sony HDV-1080i High Definition Camcorder

7 replies [Last post]
rongrover

I was interested to see my local retailer of everything to do with Video/TV etc selling this camera. Interested because they have never before sold Cameras Listed as Professional. They are however one of the best retailers of all the very best comsummer and pro-consummer products.

When I ask why they had entered this market the reply is that Sony feel it is time for the general public to get the chance to buy.

I cannot recall this camera being mentioned here on our forums? but I may be wrong. However, is this really what it states it is, or another thing like the first one JVC released?

it is priced at £2500

All the best, Ron.

Vern

Hi Ron,

I believe the Sony HDR-FX1 became available on 1st December 2004.
A little early for a review yet, but you can see it on the DVC and Preston Ltd websites + others.

Best wishes,
Vern.

rongrover

Vern, are you saying that the 10801 I have mentioned is infact the FX1?

All the best, Ron.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Yes, it's the FX1. Sony don't call it a professional camera, as far as they're concerned it's a consumer camera in the HDTV market. The professional version will arrive in February, badged as the Z1. We've been discussing all this at length hereabouts for quite a while.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

Vern

As Alan has confirmed, it is the FX1.

The 1080i you refer to, relates to the 1080 lines horizontal resolution.

The High Definition format is gaining momentum with suitable editing software coming along in the pipeline, and Sky H/D transmissions planned for 2006.

Best wishes,
Vern.

infocus

Ron - "1080i" isn't the model number, it's the High Definition standard it uses - 1080 lines, interlaced. The posts Alan refers to above can be found in the topic here.

And in answer to your original question, yes, unlike the JVC PD1, the FX1 really is a quantum leap foreward in technology, comparable to that represented by the VX1000 when it first came out.

Alan Roberts
Alan Roberts's picture

Vern, the 1080 lines are horizontal not vertical. The picture format is 1440 pixels (across the picture) by 1080 lines.

Get my test cards document, and cards for 625, 525, 720 and 1080. Thanks to Gavin Gration for hosting them.
Camera settings documents are held by Daniel Browning and at the EBU
My book, 'Circles of Confusion' is available here.
Also EBU Tech.3335 tells how to test cameras, and R.118 tells how to use the results.

rongrover

Thanks for the replies. I have been following the threads on the FXI, but there is nothing mentioned that would have lead me to know that the one I mentioned is in fact the FX1, hence my question.

Regarding what it is called, it is adverticed just as I said. I am sure that the retailer only put in an ad from available Sony material, however I will point out to them that it should really be shown as the FX1. I have spoken to someone who is interested in getting it, but, they are unlikely to use it in HD mode. So, is the camera worth buying anyhow even in those circumstances? From what I have seen posted in the other threads, the answer may well be no?

Since writing the above I have found out why I was mislead. The ad reads as HDV-1080I (although it does not look like a capital I)and I read it as a one. The I should have been shown as i. It was taken from a comment made about the Camera as seen here.

HDV offers resolutions of between 1280 X 720 (known as 720p favoured by JVC) and 1440 X 1080 (known as 1080i favoured by Sony).

So sorry for misleading everyone here, however at least it has established that it is in fact the FX1 and to save any further confussion, best listed as that.

All the best, Ron.