Sony VX2100

2 replies [Last post]
Mr Impact

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice on a new semi-pro video camera. It would be used to film stock car racing and weddings, and Im thinking of the Sony VX2100. Has anyone had any experience with one of these to give me an idea what they are like please?

From what Ive read about them so far it seems good, especially in low-light which is one of the main things for me as I sometimes film at stadiums with poor lighting and would be good for weddings too. Im not fussed about not having XLR inputs as I currently have a PDX10 that has an XLR adaptor, and I very rarely use it for the kind of stuff I film.

Does anyone know if this camera suffers with lens flare like my PDX10? Also am I right in thinking this cam uses L-series of batteries rather than the M-series?

Any help would be great.
Cheers.
Nick.

John H Jones

Nick,
The VX 2100 camera is very very good in low light situations - 1 lux min and does not suffer from the same lens smear/flare problems as you are experiencing with the PDX10. The batteries are F series - 330,960,etc. Tom Hardwick on the DV doctor forum is our resident expert on PDX10 and VX 2100 cameras. It was his review of the PDX10 that made me decide to go for the VX 2100.

Try the site below for tutorials on using this type of camera. The Vx 2100 is more or less the same as the PD 150 but without the XLR audio attachment. http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

John

Mr Impact

Cheers for that, yeah that just backed up my thinking this is the best cam to go for. I dont think time is right for us to go hi-def yet, although Pinnacle is supposed to do HD DVDs now.