UDMA Drives & DV300

4 replies [Last post]
Lon

I am trying to determine if my system will accommodate a Miro DV200 or DV300 and get robust performance (not purchased DV system yet). My system is described in detail below.

I need to purchase a high capacity hard drive. I am hoping to be able to purchase a high capacity, EIDE, UDMA, 7200 RPM drive to use for the video stream storage and avoid expensive SCSI drives. Currently the "best buy" appears to be a Western Digital Expert 27 GB, 7200 RPM, 2MB cache UDMA/66 drive for about $300.00 US. Who knows what the best buy will be tomorrow? This drive will be used for digital data only, my current Western Digital 8.4 GB, UDMA/33, 5400 RPM drive will hold the operating system and the required software (Premiere, DVtools etc).

I am also hoping to use the on motherboard UDMA/33 controller (effectively choking the UDMA/66 drive to UDMA/33). I would like to avoid an add on EIDE controller like the Promise.

If I purchase this drive (or one you may recommend), and carefully install it, can I get robust DV300 or DV200 performance? I realize I might need to do a bit of IRQ dancing and card slot shuffling when the DV200 or DV300 is installed.

My System

Win 98 Fresh Install (not an upgrade), it is not the new SE edition
Abit BH6 Motherboard with the Intel BX chipset
Celeron 300A running at a stable 450MHz
256 MB SDRAM
Western Digital 8.4 GB, 5400RPM, UDMA/33 (DMA checked in Win 98 setup)
ATI Xpert 98 8MB Video Card
Diamond 56K modem (internal)
Ensonic PCI Sound Card
Epson 750 on USB port
Intel "egg" camera on USB port
Microsoft mouse on a PS/2 port
Keyborad on a PS/2 port
Calcomp Drawing Slate II on a serial port
Diamond Fireport 40 UW SCSI Adapter - This adapter has several SCSI 2 devices connected to it. These include a 6 GB Quantum USCSI 5400RPM HD (not wide), a Zip drive, a Toshiba 32X CD-ROM, a Ricoh 4X4X20 CDRW, HP flatbed scanner (scanner is the only external device)
I have two (2) free IRQs
The on board parallel port is disabled (saves an IRQ)
The secondary leg of the on board EIDE controller is disabled (saves IRQ)
Most likely the 6 GB USCSI drive will be removed when I install the new Hard Drive.

If need, I am willing to get a USB mouse, disable the mouse port in hardware, and harvest the IRQ for other purposes.

Thanks and Enjoy! Lon

Ken W

Lon
It appears nle systems are at their best when used for video
capture/edit only.
This is impossible for most of us, we need to use our machines
for other purposes and few of us can afford two, with one
dedicated to video. Consider the option of setting your machine
up as a dual boot. One boot configuration for video, the other
for general work. Also PC games are a video capture/edit killer,
avoid them like the plague.
DV capture cards.
The DV300 has an onboard scsi controller which you don't need,
it will use up an IRQ, I may be wrong but I dont think this
onboard controller can be disabled by jumpering the card, or by
software. The DV200 has this scsi controller removed, otherwise
the cards are the same (I think).
Don't rule out the Canopus Raptor, everyone to their
opinions of course but it seems to get the nod from the
members on this forum. Before you do anything, pay a visit to
ccgnv.net/admitone
This guy knows his stuff re system building for video. I'm
sure you'll pick up lots you need to know.
Regards
Ken

Ken W

Lon
Almost forgot.
Hold fire on the 25 or 27 gig drives, 37 gigs are about to appear for similar money. But after you've visited the site I mentioned you may change your mind about scsi.
Regards
Ken

Peter L

Hi Lon, just to say that the SCSI controller on the DV300 can be disabled by a simple link. Peter

neil

Oh No It Can't!!
The jumper on the DV300 does not prevent the SCSI part of the card from grabbing an interrupt. I wish it did!!!- tried it often enough!!
Cheers
Neil S