Mic advice needed K6/ME66 or 416

5 replies [Last post]
Dominic I

I have allways used/hired a 416 in the past. Need to get a mic for new job, Obviously you get what you pay for....however, would i be better off hireing a 416 kit (at over £1,000 for a complete kit it's out of the question) or should i buy a K6/ME66 kit?

It's mainly going to be used for studio audio recording and a bit of location, outside, in an office, that sort of thing. I will be shouting HD (EX3) and output will be to std def dvd or on the web. Would i notice a differance between the two?

Dominic

Dominic, OB- Mac mini '13, Final Cut Studio 2, KA-Sat, UltraStudio 4K, HyperDeck Studio, QuickLinks, Teradek 
www.iirisat.tv

Chrome

Dominic, I own a 416 and once tried a friends K6/ME66 combination side-by-side indoor in an interview setting both going into a Sony PDW350 on identical settings. The ME66 is fine, however IMHO the 416 is way beyond the other combination in terms of quality and sweetness of the audio. As you say you get what you pay for, and my philosophy is the better the audio you start with the better you end up with... I try to make no compromises when it comes to audio if I can afford it. :)

However, there's nothing wrong with the ME66... and if the finished production is for the web, by the time it's all compressed you may not really notice too much difference.

HallmarkProductions

You could also take a look at the Rode range - I think the NTG3 is the closest one to the 416. Maybe it is my ears, or the environment in which I listen, but, I really cannot hear much difference between 416 and the others - and bear in mind that the audience will be listening on cheap PC speakers, more than likely.
Also, you are shooting on an EX3. Apply the same logic - why not shoot on a PDW350? You see, there is always something better than you have - but some things are more than adequate for the proposed budget. I think the mics will be well matched to your camera.

I am

Chris
Time for a new signature now...

JOHN . A.V.

Dominic. I have pm `d you

Dominic I

Chris, You are 100% right, i oftern worry far to much about quality and at the end of the day you have to look at what it's being used for, ortherwise you'd end up shooting everything on HDcam SR lol. However i have been caught out, last year i did a low budget job which we shot on our old XL1, ITN picked up on the video and before i know it it's on the news (not my finest quality work).

Alothough most of the work is for web we may well use it in a Blu-Ray corporate video for shows, so want to be able to use it for everything.

As the EX3's on board mic is naff i think i'm going to get a K6/ME66 kit which we can use either on camera or on a pole.

I have been through all the info on 416 Vs NTG3 and it would seem that the NTG3 typically picks up 30% more off axis sound than the 416. As there is a bit of background noice in the building the 416 seems a better option. However we'll have to hire the 416 on an as an when needed basis.

Thanks for the offer John

Dominic

Dominic, OB- Mac mini '13, Final Cut Studio 2, KA-Sat, UltraStudio 4K, HyperDeck Studio, QuickLinks, Teradek 
www.iirisat.tv

MAGLINK

Check out the AT 875R, Ok it's a budget mic but I find it perfectly acceptable for most work and it is my stock mic for indoor and location sound.

Yes the 416 and NTG3 are nice but may be over the top for what your requirements are, it may be better to have two or three 875R's rather than one expensive mic.

P.S don't bother with NTG 1 or 2 though as they are not as good as the 875R.